Pedal Board Madness

teleSo if you read my last post then you know that I played electric guitar last weekend because our guitarist sat in on drums.  I’m not an electric guitarist by any means, I just jumped on to add some fullness and edge (not that Edge Karl) to our first 2 songs.  It was a lot of fun, but my hand is still sore from playing all those Barr Chords!  I’ve really become a wimp in the last few months.

It was great getting my pedal board out again.  I haven’t played with it in a few months.  I was contemplating getting rid of my Route 66 pedal because it kept giving me this crazy hum.  In fact, my amp had this crazy hum with pretty much every pedal on my board, even after Andy did an incredible job re-building it.  That being the case, I thought it was just something I was going to have to live with and work around.  But the hum that came with the Route 66 wasn’t something I could work around and it was literally on its way out.

img_0133So, my kids have this video game thing called the V-Smile.  And the batteries went out in it a while back (hang in there, this is going somewhere).  So I took the power adapter off of my pedal board and put it on the V-Smile so that they could play it.  What I didn’t realize is that if you leave it plugged in it pulls juice the whole time (almost there).  So the other night my wife says to me, “do you smell something?”  I say, “no, not really”… she says, “It smells like something is burning… something electrical”…  I walk into the toy room and smell what she’s talking about.  I trace it to the surge protector where my power adapter is literally smoking…  somehow the V-Smile burned up my power adapter.  You can’t see it in the picture, but the head is all warped and melted.  That was a close one!  Thank God for my wife’s nose or this valley would have one less house (like anyone would notice).

So needless to say, my pedal board is now powerless.  So I take all of my pedals off of the board and put batteries in them… what a pain!  But guess what happened…  Goodbye hum!  My board/amp is now cleaner than ever.  It sounds clean, looks clean, feels clean… it is clean!  I’m stoked!amp1

I’m still not sure if it was the actual pedal board or the power supply, but I do know this…  “Rejoice in your trials and tribulations because they bring about perseverance… [and clean tone]”  Romans 5:3-5  or something like that!

The coolest part is that I don’t have to get rid of my Route 66 pedal.  It went from my least favorite pedal (when it had that major hum) to my most favorite pedal (is that the correct verbage?).  I love the fact that it has a Bass Boost Switch, overdrive, sustain and compressor all in one pedal.

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Pedal Board Madness

1. Karl says:

Yikes! hehe I’ve had adapters blow, too. Uh, actually the one in that picture looks like I may have given that to you at one time. Wow, really glad I’m not responsible for burning down up your gear…oh, ya, and your house.

So even the DD20 is on batteries? That one will probably go through them in one set. You might want to check out the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+. The individual adapters can give hum, but the PP2 has isolated outs, and is really quiet. It also looks really cool, and clean. Also, some pedals (and this could be the case with the Visual Sound stuff) really prefer their own factory adapters.

2. team4given says:

Yup… even the DD20… It runs on 6 AA of all things!

Don’t worry about burning down my house, the adapter is one that I bought after seeing the one you used.

I like the idea of the Pedal Power 2+. I’ll have to look into that.

Thanks for the tip… and you know that it’s always all about the look! 😉

Any other pedals you’d suggest? Maybe a fuzz?

3. Karl says:

haha I knew that adapter looked familiar! Maybe those aren’t the best, because I still have one of mine that blew, and it’s all bent up and distorted from the heat. Kinda scary. hehe

And speaking of look…every time I see your amp in that getup Andy did for you…man, that just looks sweet!!

And fuzz would be great! Although it’s really hard to lead with fuzz. The band’s not sure what to do. hehe Maybe a nice trem?

4. Larry says:

Nice– wow. The PP2 is def the way to go–
    unless there is an issue of cashflow, I would try the Visual Sound 1 spot. Its much cheaper, will play good with the 66 pedal and I only get hum when I plug 12 pedals into it (or 2 large “model pedals” like the DD20 and a Line 6 DL4).

I second the tremolo– the biggest part of being an electric player is enhancing and creating texture. I use to use tremolo on every prechorus to add a dynamic of “going somewhere” then cranking the power chords/ovedrive on the chorus. It just blends really well and tells your audience to “the next part is important, listen to it.”
    invaluable for worship!
    Cheap one: Danelectro Tuna Melt — for about $40 bucks, the best trem I played until
    Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter tap trem $150.

And I still prefer the Dano most of the time due to size on the pedal board.

5. srmaximo says:

You bust me up. I don’t remember clean tone being discussed in Romans.

I’ve got a description of for how I built my DIY pedalboard here. Let me know what you think!

Rob

6. team4given says:

Great stuff Rob! I love the step by step. It looks like you’ve done a lot of research…

Thanks for the link.

And oh yeah, you don’t remember Paul talking about good tone? Hmm… I might have to re-read that one. 😉